If you follow my Facebook Lives, you know that I absolutely love teaching you how your body works. No one ever gave you an owner’s manual on how to take exceptional care of your body. I’ve made it my mission to give you that manual.
I’ve done over two hundred FB Lives in the past year. In that process, I have discovered where many of you are struggling with your health.
And there’s no doubt that adrenal fatigue and low energy are at the top of your list.
One of the first goals I set for my patients is to create a plan that gives them limitless energy. Most people have no idea limitless energy is even possible! Your body was built to last 120 years so let’s be clear: it’s not meant to lose energy in your 30s, 40s, 50s, or even your 60s.
If you are chronically fatigued, most likely your body is having trouble adapting to all the physical, emotional, and chemical stress that you’ve been giving it.
So, today, I want to give you steps to not only help your adrenals adapt, but to create a brain and body that becomes stress-proof.
The first thing to realize about adrenal fatigue is that it’s more than just your adrenals that at are affected. When stress gets high, the hypothalamus in your brain sends a signal to your pituitary to send chemicals down to the adrenals so that they will release cortisol, adrenaline, epinephrine, and norepinephrine.
When these chemicals get released, you will often feel like a superhuman. This can be a good thing: a one-time stressor can be quite helpful in giving you energy and focus to overcome that hurdle. It’s when the stress keeps coming over and over again that your body starts to breakdown.
Once your adrenals release these stress hormones, they also go to many other organs.
Your heart and lungs respond by increasing your heart and respiration rate.
Your blood moves from your brain to your arms and legs.
Your gut shuts down digestion.
It’s a classic fight or flight reaction. Your body is preparing for crisis.
Where stress gets dangerous is when it doesn’t stop. And this cycle continues.
Every day, your brain sends stress signals to your adrenals.
Your adrenals keep producing more stress hormones.
Your stress hormones keep shutting your digestion down.
Your blood pressure goes through the roof.
Your adrenals wear out.
Your gut stops producing GABA to calm your brain.
Your brain becomes hypersensitive, reacting to even the smallest stressors.
And, ultimately, you physiologically lose your ability to handle stress.
Fixing your adrenals is not as simple as just taking an adrenal supplement. If you want to fix your adrenals, you have to repair this whole cycle.
Here is the checklist I go through in my mind as I coach a patient through adrenal fatigue and help them build a body that has limitless energy.
1. Your Stressors
Many of you are not going to be able to make the stress stop coming at you. So gathering some tools to handle the stress will be important. Here are some of the tools I use on a daily basis:
- Meditation- I do at least 10 minutes daily.
- Gratitude- When you go to bed at night, focus on the wonderful things that happened to you, instead of the opposite.
- Hang around positive people- happy people are contagious.
- Do something everyday that makes you happy. Even the small things can have a powerful effect on your health.
2. Your Brain
Supporting your brain while stress is high is crucial. Here are my favorite strategies for keeping your hypothalamus and pituitary healthy:
- Detox your brain. Strategies we use in our office are Cytodetox, BIND and adjustments.
- Nourish your brain with lots of good fat.
- Be sure you get to bed before 10pm (the brain repairs best between 10pm-2am).
- Fix your leaky gut: Restore.
- Test your heavy metal load. Detox metals if load is high.
- Supplements helpful for brain function: B-Brain, Neurosyn, Calm.
- Fix a leaky blood brain barrier: Neuroflam.
- Fix your nasal mucosal barrier: Restore nasal spray.
3. Your Adrenals
This, of course, is a crucial step to getting your energy back. Rebuilding your adrenals is so much more than just taking a fancy supplement. Here are my top recommendations for resetting your adrenals:
- Stop eating sugar.
- Add more good fat into your diet to stabilize glucose and insulin.
- Take 20 minute naps to give your adrenals a chance to rest during the day.
- Take Ga with biocommand supplements for anywhere from one to four months..
- Get regular chiropractic adjustments to balance the sympathetic and parasympathic nervous systems.
- Find a holistic practitioner who will use a cold laser to repair damaged adrenals.
4. Your Gut
Lastly, you need a healthy gut to produce the proper neurotransmitters that will help the brain handle the stress you are perceiving. One of the most helpful neurotransmitters for handling stress is GABA. Here’s how I like to grow my good bacteria that keep my neurotransmitter levels high:
- Feed good bacteria with polyphenol rich foods.
- Add good bacteria in by eating fermented foods daily.
- Take a probiotic with a prebiotic for 90 days (my favorite is MBC by Systemic Formulas).
- Kill any pathogens that might be present in your gut (test gut with Gut Zoomer).
So there you have it. This is the adrenal cycle you need to fix to finally get your energy back. Now, many of you may look at this list and think it seems overwhelming. But don’t despair! You may only need a couple of the items that I listed out here.
Pick one or two from the list above. If your energy improves, then great! You don’t need to do the other steps. But if you do a couple of steps and you still feel horrible, take a couple more steps. Eventually you will have your energy back. I am sure of it!
Hope that helps! Reach out if you need any help.
Have an energized day!