Many of you have asked me recently how you best go about healing a leaky gut.
Having a leaky gut is no fun! Many of the chronic symptoms you are experiencing may be coming from a leaky gut.
In fact, it’s estimated that leaky gut syndrome (LGS) is affecting over 90 percent of the population.So what is Leaky Gut Syndrome? How do you know if it’s the cause of your poor health? More importantly, how to do you go about fixing it.
LGS is a condition where micro holes form in the gut, allowing undigested food and toxins to enter into your bloodstream. Once these foreign particles are in your blood, your brain registers them as harmful and orchestrates an inflammatory response. If these micro holes remain there, the inflammatory response will never stop—leading to a whole host of health problems.
What conditions are caused by LGS?
Conditions caused by LGS include the following:
• Chronic pain
• Pain in multiple joints
• Chronic fatigue syndrome
• Stomach pain
• Autoimmune conditions, including Hashimoto’s
• Hormone imbalance
• Poorly functioning thyroid
• Trouble losing weight
• Crohn’s disease
• Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
• Migraine headaches
• Multiple sclerosis
• Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)
• Restless leg syndrome
• Rheumatoid arthritis
• Skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis, rosacea, dermatitis, and acne
• Type 1 diabetes
• Type 2 diabetes
• Ulcerative colitis
• Various allergies and food sensitivities
What causes LGS?
The main causes of LGS include the following:
• Genetically modified foods
• Heavy metals
• Chronic stress
• Overuse of medications, including NSAIDs and pain killers
• Antibiotic use
• Grains, including wheat
• Pasteurized dairy
• Pesticides found in non-organic food
• Food additives and preservatives
How do you test for LGS?
-Organic Acids Test (aka-biomarkers as we call it in my office)
-Intestinal Permeability Urine Test (Genova Diagnostics)
Foods to avoid for LGS
To heal (or prevent) LGS, avoid the following foods:
• All grains, especially wheat (even organic grains)
• All sugars
• All genetically modified foods
• All dairy
Foods to add in for LGS
The foods listed below combat LGS:
• Bone broth is an excellent way to heal and seal those holes. It also adds magnesium and calcium for healing.
• Fermented foods such as sauerkraut and kimchi have trillions of good bacteria that help kill the bad bacteria that contribute to LGS.
• Coconut products are high in lauric acid, which kills bad baceria.
• Kefir—raw fermented dairy kefir is best. Or make your own yogurt from raw milk with a probiotic starter.
• Cooked vegetables. Although nutrients get lost in the cooking process, it’s easier on the gut to eat cooked vegetables when trying to heal LGS.
• Organic meats, such as wild-caught fish and grass-fed beef. Both these meats are high in Omega-3 fatty acids, which reduces the inflammation caused by LGS.
Supplements that will help fix a leaky gut:
-Max GI by Maximized Living
If you have symptoms that won’t go away no matter what supplement you take, what diet you try, what new medication your doctor puts you on, there is a great chance you have a leaky gut.
Reach out if you need help diagnosing or repairing LGS. I am here to help.
Have an amazing day!!